What is the news ticker feature?
The News Ticker allows for the integration of existing or new RSS feeds directly into a panel of the Standard Viewer. It is possible to setup and configure RSS feeds directly from the Publicator or grab existing RSS feeds from you website or other sources.
Note: This functionality is not available for the Verge Viewer at this time.
This allows you to easily push real-time corporate news, product updates or prices to your readers. In addition to news-like features, this module also allows you to integrate information from Social network sites like Facebook or information from microblog sites like Twitter.
In addition, all News feeds created in the Zmags Publicator can be used on other sites.
How to: Create a custom RSS feed
To create your own RSS feed, simply go to News Feed > Create News Feed. Give the feed a name, a URL link if necessary, and a description of the feed. Click Create.
Now you will need to add headlines to the feed. These headlines will actually be shown in your Publication viewer. You do this by clicking News Feed > Add Feed Entry. This will open the following properties:
- Feed: Select the feed you have created.
- Headline: What you write here will be displayed in the News Ticker.
- Link: You can link the Headline to an URL that will open when clicked upon.
- Text: What to display when the headline is moused over.
Repeat the Add Feed Entry process for each headline you would like to be displayed in the News Ticker. You can edit or delete headlines by clicking on the Feed Name, which will open the Feed Entries page. From there you can edit, move or delete headline entries.
How to: Add a News Ticker to your Publication
To add a News Ticker to your publication, you must first activate the feature. This is done by editing a custom viewer in viewer setup. Under the 'Features' tab you will find a News Ticker option, which has the following properties:
- Feed Type allows you to choose between a custom RSS feed you have created using the Zmags Publicator, or an existing RSS feed.
- Feed URL is where you enter the URL of the RSS feed. It is important to click Validate Feed.
- Location determines where on your viewer the News ticker will appear.
- Headline transition allows you to set the transition effect of the headlines. Effects are: Scrolling, Curtain, Refocus, Fade in.
- Headline duration allows you to set how long each headline is shown. Please note that this only affects the Curtain, Refocus and Fade in transitions.
- Reload frequency determines how often the News ticker updates the RSS feed.
Click Done. The custom viewer now has the News Ticker feature.
Now you must assign the custom viewer to your publication. You do this via My Publications > Edit > Viewer. Select the custom viewer from the dropdown list, and click done. Your publication now has the viewer with the news ticker feature enabled.
The process is complete. When your publication is opened, the News Ticker will open automatically.
What RSS standards are supported?
Please note that the following RSS standards are supported.
The News Feed now renders HTML feeds without HTML source code and further supports the following HTML tags:
- Line breaks and paragraphs
- Bold, italic and underline
- Bulleted lists
- Unicode characters and spaces ( )
All unsupported HTML tags will be removed from the News Feed. Images are not supported.
What is the news ticker feature?